Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Guardian arrives on time

Waiting for internet to be turned on. Home now in Zhitikara. Really nice to be in the Kostani – quite a different standard of living there and in a way quite glad I am somewhere smaller as it is nice to come back to somewhere people know you.

The bus back was a nightmare. Over 5 hours of sitting on a real Soviet relic which may have even predated Lenin I think. I had a seat which was fine but there was not luggage rack or space under the seats for anything and being a Sunday the bus was completely full so I has my bag wedged between my feet and then bags in the aisle which were well trampled upon by every old woman and then more on my lap. Managed to sleep somehow although I am regretting that now because my back has played up since. I was travelling in the day and the 5 hour hop now no longer seems like the mammoth trek it did at first. Who knows I may start to leave London the and south east when I get home but I wouldn’t count on it.

It was kidney for lunch yesterday and then today it was heart stew. The only good thing about this unfortunate combination of meals is that there is nothing worse than either of those two dishes which makes tomorrow a good day.

Bought bus ticket for next week to get to Kostani – I am taking a lot of my annual leave in one go and heading down south to see Tina, who I arrived out here with, and then we are both going to stay with another volunteer for Christmas before I head off to see Sergey in Bishkek. Flying down as the thought of another 40 hour train ride both ways was less appealing.

Trying to write reports at the moment about Volunteer Day and also AIDS day and then a seminar about youth alcoholism in the UK was sprung upon me for tomorrow. Think I will talk about binge drinking.

Guardian has arrived on time for a change which has taken me completely off guard so lots of reading to do this week!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know u had a blog! found it on the LSE website

unlike the comment from 'anonymous' trying to make you make money while 'having fun' (wow, $ falling off trees..) I might write something more relevant :)

ur stay in Kazakhstan sounds awesome and thrilling mate, quite something. my friend's been over summer as well, and urges me to go on the next such trip so I might.. So ur there for 8 mths, when r u back in UK? I've just gotten home for 3wks, then back to cali (mhm, think that's a mirror image of kazakhstan ;), though americans are undoubtedly not as fun as Kazakhs - am a bit bored here but still love it and the area)

but then costa rica awaits. niiice (yea, say hi to Borat - do they know him? :D )
hey - we are pretty much at the same point - I still don't know exactly what I want to do! :)

take care, I'll be trying to read ur blog mate,
Robert

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funniest thing I think I've ever heard you say/write: "It was kidney for lunch yesterday and then today it was heart stew. The only good thing about this unfortunate combination of meals is that there is nothing worse than either of those two dishes which makes tomorrow a good day."

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home